As well as personal training, I’ve created a bespoke weight loss package focusing on the psychology, habits, beliefs, behaviours and thinking patterns for your long term weight loss.
Furthermore, I specialise in complex and often long-standing musculoskeletal injuries and pain. We consult with a lot of patients/clients that have been given misinformation, incorrect, and unhelpful treatments.
By no fault of their own, a lot of time and money has been wasted, and emotional grief experienced by trying to find solutions to their injuries and pain. I work tirelessly to put this right. I’m sure you can also benefit and even find a solution. Please see below case studies of the complex cases we solve:
- 2012/2013: History of patellar tendinopathy since 16 years of age after playing a lot of basketball and volleyball
- 2013: Chest muscle pain which became debilitating; physiotherapy over the years for 7 years since 17 years of age
- Oct 2019: More physiotherapy for potential rotator cuff issue, massage therapy
- 15th Dec 2019: MRI by orthopaedic professor who diagnosed tendinopathy in pectoral/grade 1 strain/tear to right pec tendon
- Dec 2019: More physiotherapy with exercise: cable flyes, full body routine, resistance bands, but became pain became aggravated
- Mar-May 2020: Painful wrists and forearms; not being able to work for 2 and a half months
- Apr 2020: Physiotherapy which included wearing wrist supports for 2 weeks, stretching, light resistance bands, etc.
- Jan 2020: Mr Sood did chest MRI scans at the Tendon Pain Clinic for wrists and hip; unable to exercise due to pain. Also confirmed Achilles and knees tendinopathies, and some hip pain. Unable to exercise or play sports due to pain
- Jun 2020: Started with Joe Smiles addressing the variety of complex musculoskeletal problems in forearms, wrists, chest, knees, and Achilles
- Jul/Aug (5-6 weeks later): Returning to work
- Oct 2020 (4 months later): Pain free, back to sport and gym
“I was referred to Joe by Mr Sood at the Tendon Pain Clinic, with tendinopathy in both knees (patella), both heels (Achilles), both wrists/hands, and right hip and shoulder (pec major tendon). I had previously seen multiple physiotherapists unsuccessfully for these injuries over several years. Joe’s evidence-based, personally tailored exercise treatment regime has been the most effective treatment I’ve found. It was delivered completely via video, covered all my tendon injuries and initially just used limited home workout equipment during lockdown.
Within 6 weeks most of my pain subsided and I was able to return to work. After 4 months all of my injuries are pain free, I’m stronger than I’ve ever been, and am now able to play basketball, squash and swim regularly. We progressed to gym training. Joe is personable, professional and I couldn’t recommend him enough for tendon injury rehabilitation or personal training.”
- Jan 2018: Strained left hamstring, daily pain
- Mar 2018: Osteopath (Evolution Osteopathy Roupell St. London)
- May 2018: The Spine Surgery London Physio
- Jun 2018: Acupuncture
- Jul 2018: Physio
- Aug 2018 (Mexico): Orthopaedist
- Oct-Nov 2018: Wandsworth Physiotherapy and Osteopathy
- Nov 2018: Chiropractor
- Nov-Dec 2018: Six Physio
- May 2019: Sports medicine consultant (Bhavesh Kumar) and first hamstring MRI scan. First diagnosis of hamstring tendinopathy
- Jun 2019: Shock wave therapies (3 sessions, 1 each week)
- Jun-Aug 2019: Physio
- 23rd Sep 2019: Orthopaedist and neurologist (Mexico), corticosteroid injection
- 26th Sep 2019: Orthopaedist (another in Mexico), due to inability to move the leg after corticosteroid injection
- Dec 2019: Assessment and MRI scan of pelvis with Mr Sood. Diagnosis of chronic left proximal hamstring tendinopathy. Mild gluteus medius tendinopathy. Daily pain, particularly after exercise or the next day after exercise.
- 11th Jan 2020: Started training with Joe Smiles. Focusing on periodised exercise rehabilitation, following programme prescriptions face to face, on her own, and via video link.
- May 2020: Almost no pain day to day, no pain during exercise. She’s the strongest she’s ever been, currently deep squatting 45kg and deadlifting 60kg for reps. Currently following a whole body strengthening and conditioning programme, including hamstring focus.
“I would like to strongly recommend Joe Smiles as a coach for any physical injury you may be facing. Joe has been nothing short of a gold-plated standard coach in helping me recover from an ongoing hamstring injury and a constant shoulder and back pain that plagued me for several years. Both for which I received countless consultations and rehabilitation sessions with every type of doctor/therapist you can imagine (orthopaedists, neurologists, sports doctors, acupuncturists, chiropractors, masseurs, and the list goes on…).
This never provided me with success and just disappointment and pain. Joe unleashed a potential that I felt was unreachable due to my continuous failures of attempting to rebuild my strength and get back into the gym on a routine basis. He has instilled a high sense of confidence within me to not reactivate my injury and knows how to adjust workouts based on progress and the pain/tension within my troubled injury locations.
Lastly, Joe is very practical and selfless in his approach. He never once encouraged me to take sessions more frequently than necessary and ensured my workout plan positioned me for recovery and success and not necessarily his pocketbook.
I would also like to thank Mr Sood for his support and guidance. I had first seen him for the discomfort I was experiencing. He was very helpful and after receiving a consultation service from the review of my MRI scan, he recommended I pursue physical rehabilitation with Joe. I want to acknowledge Mr Sood for directing me to Joe and his practice.
Many thanks Joe for your services and for your support throughout our sessions together. 2020 has looked so much brighter for me given the help and guidance you provided! Cheers!”
- 2006-2008: Chiropractic treatments
- 2010-2013: Sports massage treatments
- 2015-2017: Physio treatments
- 2017-2018: Sports massages
- May 2018: Steroid injection in hip and knee and due to have a hip operation to reduce impinging hip, fluid and cyst on hip joint. Sought a second opinion who advised me to continue running and cycling. Third opinion was Mr Sood.
- Dec 2018: Consultant appointment with Mr Sood. Diagnosed with cyst lesion in iliopsoas tendon, groin and hip soft tissue pain, knee chondral fissure, plus overuse injuries. No evidence of any femoroacetabular impingement or labral tears. Previous injection not directed where it should have been.
- Jan 2019: Rehabilitation started with Joe focusing on linear periodisation of lower limb-specific injury rehab.
- Feb 2019: Introduction of full squats, plyometrics, light jogging, plus some global upper body strengthening. Use of light weights.
- April 2019: Full depth squats, increasing weights and variety, jumping, jump rope.
- Sep 2019: 5km runs at 22 minutes, squatting high reps easily with 50kg, plus overall strengthening and conditioning programmes.
- June 2020: 10km runs 50 minutes. Currently building on strength and conditioning, 5km running, and cycling 50km rides in 100 minutes, building distances and speeds.
After 12 years of suffering with chronic knee pain I’d given up on any type of enjoyable exercise. I had settled for second best – limited motion which wasn’t really proper exercise in my experience. I was introduced to Joe Smiles after a series of sessions with Mr Sood, an Orthopaedic Consultant. From the first interaction Joe was on delivery mode: get me exercising pain free with immediate effect. I thought the sessions would be easy but I was wrong. Each one was challenging – as a former triathlete this is just what I need. Joe developed a series of incremental strengthening sessions allowing me to achieve records at each session. This was great for my motivation and helped monitor the pain free path I was one. Joe is first class. He makes the sessions challenging but enjoyable and also educational. I have a busy lifestyle and Joe applies pragmatism to the sessions allowing for me to flex around these commitments. He is the first person to get me back running and cycling pain free – bravo. In short, Joe is the first person in 12 years to make exercise pain free, satisfying and fun. I couldn’t recommend him strongly enough, so much so friends and family are now using his service.
After seeing two other consultants I was referred to Mr Sood. From our first meeting he was able to diagnose my problem and tell me exactly what I needed to do. He was the first consultant to steer me away from an operation, where former consultants were directing me towards. He explained the physiological issues to me in simple terms which I was grateful for and suggested I undertook strengthening sessions over an operation. Mr Sood is top class and I’m grateful for his advice.”